Whenever you do changes to the search schema, re-crawl of the content is required to fill in the search index with the proper values by the new schema.
In SharePoint on-prem, the classic recommendation is to do a full crawl.
But what to do in Office 365 where we cannot initiate full crawl?
Well, there are
two three things to do:
- You can re-crawl a list or document library.
- You can re-crawl a site.
- You can ask support to do a full crawl on your tenancy.
Re-crawl a list or document library
If you want to re-crawl a list or document library, follow these steps:
- Go to the List / Library Settings.
- Open Advanced Settings.
- Scroll down to Reindex Document Library and click on the button.
- Confirm that you really want to re-crawl:
Recrawl a site
If you want to re-crawl a whole site and it’s all content, there is a similar option on site-level, too:
- Go to Site Settings.
- Scroll down to “Search”.
- Click on “Search and offline availability”
- Click on “Reindex site”.
- Confirm again.
Remember: these options do not change the crawl schedule (when the next continuous crawl runs). Instead, they make sure your content will be re-crawled again.
Submit a support ticket to re-crawl your tenancy
If your changes are rather global for your whole tenancy, it might be easier to re-crawl everything. If this is the case, please contact Office 365 support team.